Sexual assault and sexual violence

We understand that seeking advice and support for sexual assault or sexual violence can be a very difficult and personal decision. There is no right or wrong way to be and what has happened isn’t your fault and there are people at the university to support you.
  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone) or if you are on campus you can contact the university Security Team 24/7 on  the emergency number 0115 951 8888. 
  • You can access urgent advice and support from the Topaz Centre (Sexual Assault Referral Centre). The Topaz Centre offers free support and practical help to anyone over 18 who has experienced sexual violence and/or sexual abuse. This service is available without police involvement for those over the age of 18. You don't have to report the assault to the police if you don't want to.
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. 
  • Reporting to the police.  You have the option of reporting what has happened to you to the police. To report you can call the police on 101, visit your local police station or report it confidentially online If you are thinking about this option, the Nottingham Sexual Violence Service provides further information on what could happen. 
  •  Reporting to the University. Students and staff can use this platform to request support from an advisor, who will be able to provide you with information about what options are available. This is confidential and does not instigate any kind of formal complaint or appeals process. Should you wish to make a formal complaint you will be given the information on how to do so from the advisor assigned to you.  If you want to let us know what happened to you, but want to remain anonymous, you can  do this through the anonymous reporting route.
  •  HealthyU is here to help you look after yourself as a student here at the university
  • If you are a member of staff, the Staff Wellbeing page has lots of information on how to look after your mental health and wellbeing.
  •  Togetherall is for staff and students and provides a safe space for members to engage anonymously with a wider network of people across the world who understand what it's like to struggle with mental health. 
If you believe another staff member or student has experienced sexual assault/violence you can encourage them to report this via Report & Support.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened