Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can affect people across society regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, wealth and geography. 

If you are feeling unsafe in the place where you are residing, or in a relationship, as well as getting help from local and national services, please also consider contacting the University, as we will be able to offer you additional advice and support.  

You may feel unsafe from family members or a partner or ex-partner. 

It can be hard to understand if the problems you are experiencing are abuse and this can be a barrier to seeking help. If you are concerned that you be experiencing domestic abuse and are not sure what to do, please speak to one of our services so that we can help you better understand what is happening and discuss the support options available with you.

  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone) or you can contact the university Security Team 24/7 on their emergency line 0115 951 8888 . 
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. 
  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University‚Äôs Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you. 
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow. 
Get Support 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened